Salt is one of the things that improve the taste of your food. It is also one of the traditional preservatives. It prevents foods from spoiling and keeps food safe to eat. Salt helps in maintaining the balance of the fluid in the body. Consuming too much salt can result in bloating and high blood pressure. One symptom of having too much salt in the body is the frequent occurrence of cravings.
Can you add salt to your foods during the VLCD of the HCG diet?
Plain and simple the answer is YES. You can add salt to your foods as long as it is not too much. Too much salt consumption during the HCG diet is harmful. It is one of the culprits of water retention and weight loss plateau. It can also trigger diseases such as heart disease, kidney, and hypertension.
When adding salt to HCG diet meals, you have to make sure that you measure it. Do not estimate the amount of salt you add to your foods by using your eyes. If it is not necessary to use the salt you can skip it. You can add salt to your soup meal or the vegetable recipe. Add a pinch or two to improve the taste. Avoid preserving your foods by using salt because when you consume it you are at risk of water weights.
How does consuming salt results in water retention?
Water retention happens when salt holds water in your body. This happens when you consume too much food that contains salt. Water retention makes you feel sluggish. It can also cause weight gain which is a frustrating circumstance during the VLCD of the HCG diet. When you gain water weights it will be hard for you to get back on track. To reduce your risk of retaining water you have to control your salt intake.
How to avoid having too much salt in the VLCD of the HCG diet?
- Avoid eating foods that undergo processes such as preserved meats.
- Frozen and packed foods contain extra salt so you must avoid them.
- Read food labels not only to avoid sugar but also salt. Look for food products that contain less salt or opt for fresh products instead.
- If you want to spice up your foods you can use natural herbs instead of adding salt
- Do not buy canned vegetables because it contains preservatives such as salt. Do not buy foods from restaurants and fast foods. It is because you are uncertain about the amount of salt is present in it.
- Drink plenty of water per day to flush out water weights. You also need to balance your diet, especially during the VLCD.
Eat healthy meals during the HCG diet instead of focusing on salty foods. Healthy meals such as vegetables and fruits are satisfying. It can also relieve water retention and diseases. Some of the approved foods during the HCG diet contain water. It can improve hydration and fullness. Vegetables such as lettuce, celery, cucumber, zucchini, and radish are diuretics. It helps in getting rid of the water weights that your body is holding because of salt.