The HCG diet phase 2 starts right after the gorging phase. This is during the third day of maintaining the HCG shot. The first week of phase 2 is sometimes difficult. It is challenging to especially if you fail to accomplish the loading phase or you are used to unhealthy habits. As your body adjusts to the VLCD you might experience headaches, a sudden occurrence of hunger, etc. However, it does not come very often and may not occur at all.
The HCG diet phase 2 way of loading is not the same as to your loading phase where you can eat anything you want. Phase 2 of the HCG diet is the cutting down of your calorie intake. This is done for 3 to 6 weeks depending on how much weight you want to lose. You have to overcome all kinds of hunger and its causes. Through the help of the HCG, you will be able to control hunger and overcome your unhealthy cravings.
Maintain your HCG shot
The diet hormone can be in a form of pellet, drop, or injection. However, the most recommended form of HCG is injection. This is because it has shown a more promising result than using the HCG drop and pellet. Make sure that you know how to mix the hormone properly and the exact dose you need in each shot. The HCG shot is done once a day before any meal. It is better to do it in the morning after your daily weigh-in.
The number of calories allowed during the P2 of the HCG diet
For the modern HCG diet, it is allowed to have 800 calories per day. However, it will take you longer to reach your weight loss goal. The 500 calorie diet is according to the original protocol of the HCG diet that is created by Dr. Simeons. There are exact foods that are allowed and corresponding calorie portions to guide you on your meal.
During the VLCD you must eat to hunger
This means that you can still omit foods that you are not hungry for. You can have days that you only eat fewer calories. There are days that 500 calorie seems too much and there are also days that it is just exactly for your body. There are some cases before that some patients who feel that even so little food is too much for them can omit anything they desire. During this phase, you often feel hungry because the HCG already helps your body in curbing your hunger. That is why there is no hunger pain associated. You only need to eat foods when you are already physically hungry.
What should you skip during the second phase of the HCG diet?
You can skip the foods that you are not hungry for. If you are still full in the next meal you can try skipping some of your foods but you MUST have a protein portion. The protein portion is an important part of your meal. You can skip the fruit choice but NOT the protein. Ditch grissini or Melba toast as well. You can do this technique if you are FULLY comfortable with eating fewer than 500 calories. If VLCD is new to you then you must follow the 500 calorie requirement per day. This technique is just optional.
Weigh yourself daily to keep a track of your weight
Weighing yourself is the most effective way of tracking your weight loss. Have a daily log of your progress every morning as soon as you get up. Step on the weighing scale before going out in your room, before having your breakfast coffee and before your HCG shot.
The breakdown of your daily meal during VLCD of the HCG diet
- During breakfast, you are not allowed to eat solid food. To accomplish your daily calorie intake you are only allowed to have coffee or tea on breakfast. It must be free from sugar and creamer.
- Lunch and dinner must the same amount of food in each serving. Lunch and dinner are your major mealtime during the VLCD.
- Have a portion of meat for protein choice. It must be a 100 grams lean or fat-free meat. You can choose from chicken breast, beef meat, fat-free crab meat, shrimp, and fish. A hard-boiled egg can also be a replacement to meat especially if you are vegan.
- You must also have 1 vegetable serving and fruit. However, you are not allowed to have canned veggies or dried fruits. Canned veggies and dried fruits have added sugar and preservatives that are not a diet-friendly.
- For vegetable choices, the HCG diet allows broccoli, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, asparagus, celery, and beet greens. You can also have tomatoes, onions, fennel, chicory, and cucumber.
- For fruit choices during the VLCD, you can have oranges, grapefruit, and apple. You can also have at least a handful of strawberry, pear, peaches, and apricots.
The dos and don’ts on Phase 2 of the HCG diet
Do stay hydrated- VLCD requires you to have 2 liters of water per day. Water will flush out toxins from the burned body fats. Water can also clear the blockages of toxins in your bloodstream.
Do load on healthy food choices– Food choices such as fruits, vegetables, and other organic products are helpful for weight loss. It does not just boost fat burning but also in keeping your body healthy.
Do not skip your HCG shot- Skipping your HCG shot without any reason will sabotage your weight loss. It will allow hunger pain and cravings to occur from time to time. However, you can stop your HCG shot if you are having menstruation to avoid issues with your hormones. You can have a break of having your HCG shot but continue your diet. Get back to it as soon as your menstruation is gone.
Do not drink processed beverages- Products such as soda, weight loss juices, fruit juices, energy drinks, milk tea, and other processed drinks are not allowed. This is because of the high liquid calories that are harmful to your body during weight loss. You are only allowed to have water, tea, and coffee during the VLCD.